AC Milan have the opportunity to extend their two-point lead at the top of the Serie A table when they entertain Fiorentina at San Siro today.
The Rossoneri have been in tremendous form since the start of the season and they have registered six wins and two draws from their eight matches.
On the contrary, La Viola are languishing at the tail-end of the standings with eight points, 12 adrift of Stefano Pioli’s side.
The Florence outfit are only three points ahead of the relegation places, having failed to win any of their previous three games.
Here are five key statistics ahead of the Serie A clash.
There has been a long history between the clubs and they have faced each other on 164 occasions. The Rossoneri have been the dominant side with 72 wins to Fiorentina’s 47. Only Juventus have won more matches (82) against La Viola across all competitions (76 in the Serie A).
Despite the Rossoneri’s dominance, they have struggled to register regular wins over Fiorentina of late. Between 2008 and 2011, they had picked up seven consecutive league victories over them, but they have since managed just five wins from the next 18 meetings with six draws and seven defeats.
Elsewhere, Fiorentina have won their previous two league meetings against the Rossoneri on the road. Their best-ever away run against them came between 2012 and 2013 when they registered three straight wins. Veteran midfielder Borja Valero is the only current La Viola player, who featured back then.
The Rossoneri have scored for 28 league matches on the trot. Should they find the back of the net today, they would match their all-time record which has lasted for more than four decades. They achieved the feat of scoring in 29 consecutive Serie A games between 1972 and 1973.
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has an excellent record against La Viola and he has netted eight goals and registered three assists from 14 meetings. He has managed to accumulate the tally while representing three different clubs (Juventus, Inter and Milan).
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Worldfootball.net
Latest Serie A News
- Serie A’s 2023 Ballon d’Or Nominees
- Manchester United attempting to sign Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat on loan
- Serie A 2023/24 Season Preview: Milan clubs aiming to knock Napoli off their perch
- Serie A in US: Fans await exciting pre-season fixtures
- Romelu Lukaku wants Inter Milan stay, can Chelsea get a fee for him?
- Serie A giants Juventus and AC Milan to participate in Soccer Champions Tour
- Preview: Juventus vs Napoli – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Inter Milan vs Juventus – prediction, team news, line-ups
- AC Milan vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Napoli vs Juventus Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups