Former AC Milan star Riccardo Montolivo has warned the Rossoneri that Inter will be ready to pounce, should they falter in their title pursuit over the next four months.
Milan have enjoyed an exceptional season in the Serie A and they are currently on 43 points, three ahead of Antonio Conte’s Inter before the weekend round of games.
The Nerazzurri are playing catch-up at the moment as they are also behind on the head-to-head record, but Montolivo believes the club will keep up the pressure on their arch-rivals.
“The numbers of the two teams are similar so far, the path they are on is identical and it is only the points from AC Milan’s win in the derby that are separating them,” He told Sky Sport Italy via FCInter1908.
“AC Milan are a credible side while Inter are a classic Conte team, they are never beaten and they will be there waiting until the end to take advantage of any slip ups.”
Meanwhile, Montolivo drew comparisons between the current Nerazzurri side and Antonio Conte’s first managerial campaign (2011/2012) at Juventus. Back then, the Turin giants reeled in and overhauled the Rossoneri to lift the Scudetto.
Conte has failed to deliver any silverware in his first two seasons with the Nerazzurri, but Montolivo has warned that the 51-year-old is a serial winner and will take advantage of any slip-ups from the Rossoneri in the title race.
“Conte knows how to wait behind you in the table and take advantage of slip ups. When you see Inter play well you think it all comes easily for them, but everything is carefully prepared, the players always know what to do,” He added.
Milan have a potentially tricky game against sixth-placed Atalanta BC on Saturday. Inter, on the other hand, make the trip to Udinese, who are languishing just above the relegation zone at the moment.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Serie A News
- 2022/23 Serie A pre-season fixtures: When do Milan, Inter, Juventus & Roma return to business?
- Serie A Transfer News Latest – Inter moving full steam ahead in the transfer window
- Will AC Milan Win First Scudetto Since 2010/11?
- Serie A title predictions and weekend preview; Sergej Milinkovic-Savic destined for Premier League move
- Which Serie A team will still be in European football by end of March?
- Serie A clubs in European Football – Wednesday & Thursday Preview
- The 5 Best January 2022 Signings in Serie A
- Serie A Preview & Predictions: January 22, 2022
- Julian Alvarez’s Agent Set to Arrive in Italy to Discuss Player’s Move to Serie A – 4 Potential Destinations
- Serie A Preview & Predictions: January 6, 2022