Former AC Milan star Riccardo Montolivo has warned the Rossoneri that Inter will be ready to pounce, should they falter in their title pursuit over the next four months.
Milan have enjoyed an exceptional season in the Serie A and they are currently on 43 points, three ahead of Antonio Conte’s Inter before the weekend round of games.
The Nerazzurri are playing catch-up at the moment as they are also behind on the head-to-head record, but Montolivo believes the club will keep up the pressure on their arch-rivals.
“The numbers of the two teams are similar so far, the path they are on is identical and it is only the points from AC Milan’s win in the derby that are separating them,” He told Sky Sport Italy via FCInter1908.
“AC Milan are a credible side while Inter are a classic Conte team, they are never beaten and they will be there waiting until the end to take advantage of any slip ups.”
Meanwhile, Montolivo drew comparisons between the current Nerazzurri side and Antonio Conte’s first managerial campaign (2011/2012) at Juventus. Back then, the Turin giants reeled in and overhauled the Rossoneri to lift the Scudetto.
Conte has failed to deliver any silverware in his first two seasons with the Nerazzurri, but Montolivo has warned that the 51-year-old is a serial winner and will take advantage of any slip-ups from the Rossoneri in the title race.
“Conte knows how to wait behind you in the table and take advantage of slip ups. When you see Inter play well you think it all comes easily for them, but everything is carefully prepared, the players always know what to do,” He added.
Milan have a potentially tricky game against sixth-placed Atalanta BC on Saturday. Inter, on the other hand, make the trip to Udinese, who are languishing just above the relegation zone at the moment.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Serie A News
- Juventus vs AC Milan: Serie A Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Sassuolo vs Juventus – Serie A Preview
- ESL has split European teams apart
- Rollercoaster two-legged tie keeps the Italian flag waving in Europe
- Serie A’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Achraf Hakimi may head to the Premier League this summer with Arsenal interested
- Newcastle United defender wants contract terminated amid AC Milan interest
- Juventus in regular contact with Houssem Aouar’s agent regarding summer move
- Antonio Conte reacts to Edin Dzeko to Inter speculation
- Parma to sign Bayern Munich striker Joshua Zirkzee on loan – Fabrizio Romano