Inter Milan sporting director Piero Ausilio has ruled out the club’s prospects of signing Timo Werner by stating that the RB Leipzig striker has already made the decision over his future.
Werner has been in fine form for Leipzig over the course of the current campaign and he has bagged 30 goals and 12 assists from just 39 appearances across all competitions.
His form has captured the attention of numerous elite clubs and a recent report from Corriere dello Sport claimed that the Nerazzurri could sign the German as a replacement for Lautaro Martinez, suppose the Argentine moves to Barcelona.
However, the speculation has been quickly dismissed by Ausilio, who has clarified that the 24-year-old won’t consider a move to the club. He added that the Nerazzurri are aware of the £52m release clause in his contract but they have no chance of signing the former Stuttgart graduate.
“We have always liked him but he will not come. I know the reasons and they are various. I know the opinion of the boy and his entourage. It is true he has a clause [in his contract], but he will not come,” He told.
Werner’s future has been a regular topic of discussion over the past few months and it is widely known that he has the preference of joining Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool.
He is understood to have already held a virtual meeting with the Reds manager but a deal appears far from likely with the club unwilling to meet his buy-out clause which expires on June 15.
Due to the financial impact of the coronavirus pandemic, the Merseyside giants are reluctant to pay more than £30m for his services and that remains significantly less than the release clause.
With Leipzig in no mood to negotiate, it has been claimed that Werner could remain with the German outfit for another 12 months with the optimism that the Reds will return for his services.
By next summer, his buy-out clause could be slashed to around £35m and the Premier League giants should be in a better position financially to meet that valuation.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Serie A News
- Juventus vs AC Milan: Serie A Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Sassuolo vs Juventus – Serie A Preview
- ESL has split European teams apart
- Rollercoaster two-legged tie keeps the Italian flag waving in Europe
- Serie A’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Achraf Hakimi may head to the Premier League this summer with Arsenal interested
- Newcastle United defender wants contract terminated amid AC Milan interest
- Juventus in regular contact with Houssem Aouar’s agent regarding summer move
- Antonio Conte reacts to Edin Dzeko to Inter speculation
- Parma to sign Bayern Munich striker Joshua Zirkzee on loan – Fabrizio Romano