Napoli have successfully won their appeal against the forfeited Serie A game against Juventus in early October.
The Naples outfit were unable to travel for the game at the Allianz Stadium back then after the local authorities blocked them from heading to Turin due to multiple coronavirus cases in the squad.
Despite this, the Bianconeri took the playing field and the referee abandoned the game at the interval. Shortly after, Lega Serie A emphasised that Napoli had decided not to show up, days before the encounter.
The league’s governing body stated that there was no force majeure involved suggesting that they could have played a weakened side against the Bianconeri.
Hence, Juventus were handed three points as a forfeit win in their favour while Napoli were docked one for their failure to turn up for the league contest entirely.
Still, Napoli continued to object the decision and they have eventually had the verdict in their favour following a successful appeal with the Italian National Olympic Committee Guarantee Board.
With the outcome, Napoli have boosted their points tally from 23 points to 24 and they have moved above Juventus to the third spot. The Bianconeri, who were on 27 points, are now behind the Naples side on goal difference.
Andrea Pirlo’s side were four points behind league leaders AC Milan earlier this week, but they have now dropped seven points adrift. To make things worse, they suffered a damaging 3-0 loss at Fiorentina last night and have now played a game more than Gennaro Gattuso’s men.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Serie A News
- Serie A Preview & Predictions: January 22, 2022
- Julian Alvarez’s Agent Set to Arrive in Italy to Discuss Player’s Move to Serie A – 4 Potential Destinations
- Serie A Preview & Predictions: January 6, 2022
- Juventus vs AC Milan: Serie A Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Sassuolo vs Juventus – Serie A Preview
- ESL has split European teams apart
- Rollercoaster two-legged tie keeps the Italian flag waving in Europe
- Serie A’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Achraf Hakimi may head to the Premier League this summer with Arsenal interested
- Newcastle United defender wants contract terminated amid AC Milan interest