Serie A side Napoli are optimistic over their chances of signing Victor Osimhen from Lille after the striker recently met with manager Gennaro Gattuso to discuss a potential transfer, Gianluca di Marzio reports.
The Naples outfit currently have two strikers in Dries Mertens and Arkadiusz Milik in their squad, but the latter has been fancied to head for the exit door with his contract expiring in 12 months’ time.
Meanwhile, Andrea Petagna, presently on loan at SPAL, will return to the Stadio San Paolo at the end of the season, but it is unclear whether the 25-year-old is in the plans of Gattuso.
Hence, the club are looking into the purchase of a top-class striker and Gianluca di Marzio claims that they are making good progress in the pursuit of Osimhen.
The Nigeria international only made the move to Lille from Wolfsburg last summer as a replacement for Nicolas Pepe, but he has already impressed with 18 goals and six assists from 38 outings.
Osimhen’s progress has seen him linked with a number of elite European clubs, but Napoli seem to be leading the hunt after Gattuso held a personal meeting with the player, his entourage and agent regarding a move.
The Serie A oufit have yet to reach an agreement over the terms of the contract or the transfer fee, but they are positive about their prospects of landing the former Charleroi youngster.
It appeared that Napoli and Lille’s relationship may have deteriorated after they missed out on Pepe’s signature to Arsenal at the final hurdle last summer, but that does not appear the case.
Mertens has been the regular choice to lead Napoli’s attack this season, but the club definitely need to look into the future with the Belgian having already turned 33 and bound to experience a dip in his performances.
Mertens recently put pen-to-paper on a fresh two year contract beyond June 30 and Osimhen could be seen as a competitor to the Belgian in the short-term before replacing him as the undisputed striker.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Serie A News
- Sassuolo vs Juventus – Serie A Preview
- ESL has split European teams apart
- Rollercoaster two-legged tie keeps the Italian flag waving in Europe
- Serie A’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Achraf Hakimi may head to the Premier League this summer with Arsenal interested
- Newcastle United defender wants contract terminated amid AC Milan interest
- Juventus in regular contact with Houssem Aouar’s agent regarding summer move
- Antonio Conte reacts to Edin Dzeko to Inter speculation
- Parma to sign Bayern Munich striker Joshua Zirkzee on loan – Fabrizio Romano
- Alejandro Gomez to sign for Sevilla from Atalanta BC – Fabrizio Romano