AS Roma are scheduled to host Fiorentina in Sunday’s late Serie A clash at the Stadio Olimpico.
The Giallorossi are currently ninth in the standings with eight points on the board. They recently played out an exciting 3-3 draw against AC Milan, who are top of the standings with 13 points.
Elsewhere, La Viola are just one place and one point behind the Giallorossi. They secured a 3-2 triumph over Udinese last weekend and hence ended a three-match winless streak.
The clubs have faced each other on 175 occasions. Fiorentina have been victorious in 53 matches, seven less than AS Roma.
Roma are unbeaten in four league meetings against the visitors with two wins and two draws and did the domestic double last term.
In between that run, however, they suffered an embarrassing 7-1 defeat to La Viola in the 2018/2019 Coppa Italia quarter-final.
Nicolo Zaniolo (knee) and Javier Pastore (hip surgery) are long-term absentees for the Giallorossi. Davide Santon is deemed doubtful for the game with a thigh problem. Other than the trio, Amadou Diawara is the other senior player sidelined after testing positive for COVID-19.
Fiorentina, on the other hand, won’t have the services of captain German Pezzella after a minor ankle operation. Elsewhere, veteran midfielder Borja Valero has been sidelined since the beginning of October with an unknown injury.
AS Roma (3-4-2-1): Antonio Mirante; Marash Kumbulla, Chris Smalling, Gianluca Mancini; Rick Karsdorp, Lorenzo Pellegrini, Jordan Veretout, Leonardo Spinazzola; Pedro, Henrikh Mkhitaryan; Edin Dzeko
Fiorentina (3-5-2): Bartłomiej Drągowski; Martin Caceres, Lucas Martinez Quarta, Nicola Milenkovic; Pol Lirola, Giacomo Bonaventura, Sofyan Amrabat, Gaetano Castrovilli, Cristiano Biraghi; Jose Callejon, Dusan Vlahovic
Both clubs have made similar starts to the Serie A campaign, but Roma are definitely the team with the better run of results since the international break.
They won’t have an easy contest against a counter-attacking Fiorentina side, but could prevail by the odd goal with Edin Dzeko in good form of late with three goals in his previous two league games.
Roma have conceded an average of two goals in the opening five league matches, but should produce a better defensive display with Chris Smalling back in the mix after overcoming a mild knee injury.
AS Roma 2-1 Fiorentina
Stats from Transfermarkt.com and Worldfootball.net
Latest Serie A News
- Serie A’s 2023 Ballon d’Or Nominees
- Manchester United attempting to sign Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat on loan
- Serie A 2023/24 Season Preview: Milan clubs aiming to knock Napoli off their perch
- Serie A in US: Fans await exciting pre-season fixtures
- Romelu Lukaku wants Inter Milan stay, can Chelsea get a fee for him?
- Serie A giants Juventus and AC Milan to participate in Soccer Champions Tour
- Preview: Juventus vs Napoli – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Inter Milan vs Juventus – prediction, team news, line-ups
- AC Milan vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Napoli vs Juventus Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups