Italian sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora has confirmed that the Serie A campaign will resume from June 20 following a successful conference meeting with the Italian Football Federation, Player’s association and the league’s governing body.
The Serie A was the first major European league suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic on March 9 and there were initially doubts whether the season could resume with the underlying health concerns due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
However, any uncertainty has been thrown out of the window with the players returning to training at the beginning of the month and over the past 10 days, the top-flight clubs have been permitted to resume regular group sessions.
In a public statement, Spadafora has now confirmed that the Serie A can recommence starting from June 20, he told: “Italy is starting up again and it’s only right that football can also get going. In the light of this we can say that the championship can start again on June 20.”
Meanwhile, the Coppa Italia is currently approaching its end with only the second leg of the semi-finals and final to be played and Spadafora highlighted that the Cup competition will be concluded before the top-flight campaign restarts.
AC Milan drew with Juventus 1-1 after the first leg at San Siro while Napoli picked up a 1-0 win over Inter Milan at the Stadio San Paolo. The second legs at the Allianz Stadium and San Siro respectively will be played on June 13 with the final in Rome four days later.
Italy’s second tier, Serie B is expected to resume in co-ordination with the top-flight on June 20. However, the lower divisions in Serie C and Serie D are expected to be cancelled as the teams cannot afford the financial package for the medical protocol.
The relegation and promotion is likely to be retained in both of those leagues. While the normal season will conclude, it is suggested that the play-off games could be held in late June or early July. The unweighted points-per-game system may decide the play-off places with some teams having one game in hand.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Serie A News
- Serie A’s 2023 Ballon d’Or Nominees
- Manchester United attempting to sign Fiorentina’s Sofyan Amrabat on loan
- Serie A 2023/24 Season Preview: Milan clubs aiming to knock Napoli off their perch
- Serie A in US: Fans await exciting pre-season fixtures
- Romelu Lukaku wants Inter Milan stay, can Chelsea get a fee for him?
- Serie A giants Juventus and AC Milan to participate in Soccer Champions Tour
- Preview: Juventus vs Napoli – prediction, team news, line-ups
- Preview: Inter Milan vs Juventus – prediction, team news, line-ups
- AC Milan vs Tottenham Hotspur Preview – Prediction & Potential line-ups
- Napoli vs Juventus Preview – Prediction, how to watch & potential line-ups