Italian sports minister Vincenzo Spadafora has confirmed that the Serie A campaign will resume from June 20 following a successful conference meeting with the Italian Football Federation, Player’s association and the league’s governing body.
The Serie A was the first major European league suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic on March 9 and there were initially doubts whether the season could resume with the underlying health concerns due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
However, any uncertainty has been thrown out of the window with the players returning to training at the beginning of the month and over the past 10 days, the top-flight clubs have been permitted to resume regular group sessions.
In a public statement, Spadafora has now confirmed that the Serie A can recommence starting from June 20, he told: “Italy is starting up again and it’s only right that football can also get going. In the light of this we can say that the championship can start again on June 20.”
Meanwhile, the Coppa Italia is currently approaching its end with only the second leg of the semi-finals and final to be played and Spadafora highlighted that the Cup competition will be concluded before the top-flight campaign restarts.
AC Milan drew with Juventus 1-1 after the first leg at San Siro while Napoli picked up a 1-0 win over Inter Milan at the Stadio San Paolo. The second legs at the Allianz Stadium and San Siro respectively will be played on June 13 with the final in Rome four days later.
Italy’s second tier, Serie B is expected to resume in co-ordination with the top-flight on June 20. However, the lower divisions in Serie C and Serie D are expected to be cancelled as the teams cannot afford the financial package for the medical protocol.
The relegation and promotion is likely to be retained in both of those leagues. While the normal season will conclude, it is suggested that the play-off games could be held in late June or early July. The unweighted points-per-game system may decide the play-off places with some teams having one game in hand.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
Latest Serie A News
- Juventus vs AC Milan: Serie A Preview, H2H & Predicted Line-ups
- Sassuolo vs Juventus – Serie A Preview
- ESL has split European teams apart
- Rollercoaster two-legged tie keeps the Italian flag waving in Europe
- Serie A’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Achraf Hakimi may head to the Premier League this summer with Arsenal interested
- Newcastle United defender wants contract terminated amid AC Milan interest
- Juventus in regular contact with Houssem Aouar’s agent regarding summer move
- Antonio Conte reacts to Edin Dzeko to Inter speculation
- Parma to sign Bayern Munich striker Joshua Zirkzee on loan – Fabrizio Romano